A total of $10,600 is awarded to six local and one international organizations to benefit primarily childrens’ organizations, with an emphasis on the arts. To encourage and promote arts and children’s wellbeing, each year Cultural Arts Rotary gifts organizations applying for funds through its Foundation. This year’s awardees for 2016‐17 are:
- Children’s Musical Theaterworks ‐ $1,250 ‐ costuming for a full scale production in 2017
- West Africa Vocational School ‐ $1,000 – educational and vocational materials for phase 2 of the New Entrepreneur’s Program to assist with welding, mechanics, and computer skill development for youth in West Africa.
- Civic Learning Partnership Project ‐ $800 – production of two documentary videos for the Democracy School Program at Sutter Middle School, Baird Middle School, and Keplar Neighborhood School. Five hundred students in 18 classes will choose a community problem project which will be documented by Sunnyside High School’s Video Academy.
- Howard K. Watkins Photographic Archives Project ‐ $500 – improve website to provide better access to the collection as well as increase the number of photographs available online
- Jazz Fresno ‐ $1,000 ‐ the annual community event, When Art Meets Jazz
- Focus Forward ‐ $1,250.00 ‐ the Spoken Word Poetry project and the annual Focus on Youth Success event
- Fresno Arts Council ‐ $4,800 – children’s art display at the Water Tower
Cultural Arts Rotary cultivates creativity through service. Meeting every Tuesday noon at Arte Americas, funds are raised through fundraisers to benefit the community, with a particular focus on youth arts. For more information on the club or its giving, please go to thwww.culturalartsrotary.org.